Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cranberry Orange Bread + Coffee = Heavenly

I find it funny that when I started the blog, I mentioned that I didn't consider baking a specialty and didn't attempt it often.  However, somehow all the baking recipes have made it on here, partially due to the holiday season.  This one is actually one that I was a little afraid to try since I'm also not too experienced with making bread.  I am so glad I did though, because it turned out to be amazing.  The tart fresh cranberries and citrus coupled with the sweet denseness of the bread make the perfect partner for a cup of coffee.

You will need:
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup of juice from an orange
Orange peel, zested from one orange
2 cups flour, (I used 1 cup white and 1 cup soy flour)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 tbsp. butter, melted
2 tbsp. hot water
1/3 cup milk

In a mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, beat the egg.  Add the orange juice, peel, butter, hot water, milk, and vanilla.  Add to the flour mixture, stirring until it is just moistened.  Fold in the cranberries. Spoon into a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick to the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.  This will have a dense texture, much different than a cake.  Next time, I will be adding crushed walnuts or pecans.

Cranberry Orange Bread cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment