Sunday, January 13, 2013

Coconut Shrimp Soup

This recipe happened by complete accident, but I am so glad it did!  I had planned on making shrimp soup, but realized I forgot to get half and half at the store.  So I made do with what I did have in the pantry.... coconut milk.  As it turns out, nothing could have complimented the shrimp more.  Plus I added a touch of lime juice that really pulled everything together.  I will definitely be making Coconut Shrimp Soup again!

Coconut Shrimp Soup:

Ingredients:
3 tbsp olive oil
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 small yellow onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
1 bundle cilantro
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
2 tbsp. sriracha
1 lime, juice
salt and pepper

Directions:
1.)  Heat the olive oil in a soup pot.  Add the onion, allowing it to become translucent.  Add the garlic and roasted red peppers and cook until heated through.

2.)  Add the tomatoes with the juice, shrimp, and cilantro to the pot and simmer until the shrimp is completely cooked through.

3.)  Pour in the coconut milk, sriracha, and lime juice, cooking until just heated through.  Season with salt and pepper as needed.

4.) Serve hot with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment