Monday, March 18, 2013

Gluten Free Challenge: Bacon Egg Muffins with Jalapeno, Onions, and Roasted Red Peppers

Due to some recent test results, I am reevaluating my entire way of eating.  I'm not saying I ever ate terrible to begin with, but for the sake of obtaining complete wellness and having abundant energy, which I do not have currently, I am more than willing to make some changes.  I refuse to be put on a daily medication and in order for that to happen, I believe gluten free is a good starting point.  Luckily, cooking is my passion and any challenge having to do with food is something I am up for.  So, join me on a new journey to complete wellness as I share some of my recipes from the past few days.

I have always been a fan of making a large batch of egg muffins on Sunday to have readily available for breakfast throughout the week.  My old recipe contained quite a bit of cheese to bind things together.  The gluten free version contains no cheese, but instead, more vegetables and bacon as the outer "crust".  To mine and my husband's surprise, the gluten free version turned out even better than before.

Bacon Egg Muffins with Jalapeno, Onions, and Roasted Red Peppers:
Ingredients:
Coconut Oil to grease the pan
12 strips peppered bacon
8 eggs
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 jar roasted red peppers, chopped into small pieces
1 jalapeno, finely chopped with seeds removed
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tsp. paprika
Salt
Pepper

Directions:
Lightly grease the muffin tin with coconut oil.  Line each muffin space with one slice of bacon.  Bake the bacon for 5 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  In a skillet, saute the onions, red peppers, and jalapeno.  Place a tablespoon of the onion mixture into the bottom of each muffin space.  Beat eggs, coconut milk, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl.  Using a ladle, fill each muffin cup 3/4 full.  Bake for about 25 minutes and allow to sit for 5 minutes to cool.  Use a knife around the edges to remove from the muffin tin.  Store the egg muffins in a Tupperware container in the refrigerator.  They can be reheated as needed and will keep for about a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment